Dedication Programs and Booklets for 7 Washington, D.C. Area Statues, Memorials or Buildings.
Lot 777. Dedication Programs and Booklets for 7 Washington, D.C. Area Statues, Memorials or Buildings. Dedication programs for the statue of Alexander Hamilton and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial are scarce items in this collection. Hamilton’s statue was dedicated on May 17, 1923, with an address by President Warren G. Harding. The statue was placed at the South Plaza of the Treasury Building. Hamilton was one of the nation’s Founding Fathers, established its financial system and was the first Secretary of the Treasury. The four-page dedication program is vg and accompanied by an invitation, vg, and two tickets, ex-m. The Thomas Jefferson Memorial was dedicated on April 13, 1943, in conjunction with the Bicentennial of his birth. The four-page program is ex with soiling on the back. President Franklin G. Roosevelt gave the address. There also is a vg ticket to the event, a 30-page ex-m 1949 “Thomas Jefferson Memorial” booklet that provides details concerning the monument and a four-page g-vg program for “The Patriots,” a play performed on April 11, 1943 as part of the Jefferson Bicentennial. A 20-page program provides details for laying the cornerstone of the Department of State Building on Jan. 5, 1957. In laying the cornerstone, President Dwight D. Eisenhower used the trowel George Washington used to lay the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol in 1793. The vg-ex program includes a list of documents placed beneath the cornerstone. Books or booklets , all softcovers, with details on other facilities are: “The Washington Monument Illustrated – Complete Guide and History,” 1913, vg+, 52 pages, 27 with a history and description of the monument and 25 showing photos of the D.C. area. “The Seated Lincoln” by John G. Mahanna, 1968, ex-m, 48 pages on the development and erection of the monument. “Memorial Continental Hall,” the facility of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, undated but probably from the late 1930s or early 1940s, ex, 32 pages. The facility was completed in 1937. The booklet provides a good mix of information and photographs. And “The George Washington Masonic National Memorial” in Alexandria, VA, 1925, vg with 20 ex pages, includes details on financing the memorial, which opened in 1932. Minimum Bid $15.